Hello readers! As with any journey, there are ups and downs. My journey is no exception. Sometimes being a highly sensitive person is my greatest gift while other times, I wonder if it’s my greatest downfall simply because I am SO aware of every sensation my body encounters.
My health update for the week is as such:
- I am having very strong aches and pains in my joints (primarily my feet, hands, ankles, elbows, wrists, and legs). It feels like arthritis and it’s so bad that it wakes me up throughout my night’s sleep. For this HSP, losing sleep is NOT good for my overall wellbeing.
- This past week, a new symptom developed in my legs. It’s a burning, tight sensation mostly around my shins and calves. You know that painful feeling you get on the back of your legs after they’ve been pressed against a hard surface, like a chair or bleacher, for a while? That’s sort of what the tightness feels like, but then you add a strong burning sensation on top of it and voila, that explains my legs!! Weird and uncomfortable to say the least! Massaging and gently rubbing the area doesn’t seem to alleviate any of the discomfort, unfortunately.
- The popping, ringing, and fluttering in my ears continues. My ears have been ringing for a while now and I have sort of accepted it as my new norm. However, the fluttering and popping that takes place in my ear is so unsettling when it happens. Sometimes when you get a cold, your ears pop and crackle when inflammation dies down and that’s kind of what this popping feels like, but then the fluttering is like a spasm or a heartbeat taking place in my ear canal. It’s so annoying and there doesn’t seem to be anything I can do to make it go away!
- Luckily I haven’t had a headache this past week, so I’m pretty stoked about that. Usually I am able to tolerate the other symptoms a lot better as long as I don’t have a headache!
- I have had a few dizzy spells, but not as frequently as I was experiencing them a few weeks ago. They only last a few seconds and it’s just a wobbly feeling I get in my head and eyes. Certain motions don’t seem to trigger them because I have had them simply sitting down in a chair eating a meal – barely moving my head at all! Other times, they will come over me as I’m laying down.
- I also still have the sensation that little bugs are crawling on me. I find myself itching all the time, but there is nothing to show for it! No rash, no bug bites, no nothing! My husband must think I’m a crazy woman lying in bed next to him always scratching. Trust me, it’s just as crazy and annoying to me too!
- And finally, I continue to have intermittent tingling/numbness in my fingers and toes. It’s not a sharp pins-and-needles feeling, but a little prickly and noticeable. I find myself shaking out my hands in an effort to get some feeling back into them, but it doesn’t always help. Usually, I just have to distract myself and it will go away in time.
So those are the symptoms I’m dealing with this week. I made an appointment to see a Lyme Literate doctor (known as a LLMD) in early August and I am so interested in hearing her opinions and suggestions. Is this Lyme Disease or something else?
Whatever it is, I’m persistent and I WILL find an answer. Between this doctor and a functional medicine practitioner on the case, someone has to have some ideas about what is causing this current state of chaos in my body.
Gratitude Above All Else…
In the meantime, I am pushing through each day and staying grateful for all the things that are going well in my life (and there are a lot of them!). I keep a gratitude journal, I pray, I meditate, I cleanse my house, I use crystals, and I do yoga to keep myself feeling as well as possible even though
I’m keenly aware of the silent symptoms going on inside my body. I call them “silent symptoms” because they’re not obvious to others like they would be if I had a cold or something.
Instead, I’m the only one who knows how my body is feeling and even when I share how the symptoms feel to others, people still will have no clue what the reality is (unless you’ve been there with these symptoms too). And if you have, I would LOVE to hear from you!
For more information about my spiritual and self-care practices, check out the upcoming blog posts in the Spirituality section of this blog!