Hey there readers! Thanks for checking in today, I’m so glad you did! I feel like it’s past due that I write about my newest addition to my spiritual practices – CRYSTALS! If you’re like me, when I first read or heard about people using crystals, I thought it was a little “woo-woo” and “hippie dippy”.
I pictured people wearing tie dye shirts and bandanas around their head from the 70s, streams of incense burning in the air, and just a lifestyle that I couldn’t relate to. Totally not for me. I mean, it’s a rock for crying out loud. A rock that supposedly has powers? Uh, right…. Until recently, I’ve been listening to a lot of podcasts, reading tons of blogs, and opening my mind up to alternative ways of connecting to my source.
Just by opening up my mind to the idea that crystals could actually facilitate healing and my spiritual evolution, I have embraced all that these “rocks” stand for.
I was a little skeptical like any beginner might be, but I was also hopeful. The more I researched the properties of crystals, the more it made sense to me. Energy supporting energy. Everything on this planet consists of energy, even you! As a highly sensitive person, I feel other’s energy so strongly, so using crystals to discharge some of that energy is now a common practice for me.
I also use crystals during my meditations and to help manifest things into my life. After several uses of crystals, I am now a believer that they do, indeed, have healing properties.
So How Do They Work?
The deal with crystals is that they have been on this Earth longer than we have. Each of us puts out energy into our world, and crystals do the same! Crystals absorb energetic vibrations from their surroundings which is why it’s possible for you to connect to crystals and feed off their energy. Often times, it will help regulate or elevate your vibration helping you move into a higher state of wellbeing.
Now, to clarify, crystals are not magic. Crystals simply help us focus our intentions and help us manifest what it is we truly want for ourselves. On the most basic level, they are tangible tools brought to us by Mother Earth.
When you connect with your crystal whether you choose to wear it, carry it, place it around your house, etc., your crystal will pick up on your vibration. Stating your intentions around your crystals sets a stage for creating an emotional field that allows supportive energy to come your way. For instance, if I’m working on a new project, I will often keep my Tiger Eye crystal right next to me and state my intention for the success of the project.
5 Crystals Every Beginner Should Own
The world of crystals can be overwhelming. There are soooooo many to choose from. I’m still learning about all of the varieties and how they can support my wellbeing, but there are five that I have researched that seem to be a perfect “starter kit” for beginners entering the crystal world like me! Check these out:
- Clear quartz: This is a basic crystal that can help remove blockages that might be holding you back from what you want (stress, fatigue, self-doubt). The crystal has tremendous power to counteract the negative blocks and cleanse your thoughts. It also works really well with other stones to magnify their healing powers too! The best way to use this crystal is to hold it in your hand, close your eyes, envision it’s highest white light, and feel its energy cleanse your body. Then, state your intentions and trust that your quartz is listening and drawing those vibrations into being.
- Selenite: This was actually the first crystal that I bought. I needed to release energies that were no longer serving me (anger, frustration, and low energy). Selenite is a powerful crystal that removes negativity that weighs us down. During a meditation, I take my selenite and move it up and down my body to clear the energy around me. I set the intention that only positive energy will surround me and fill me.
- Ametheyst: This is such a beautiful stone and has a lot of healing properties making it a staple in any beginner’s stash. Ametheysts act as shields from negative, harmful energy and work to purify environments. I keep my ametheyst stone in the front window of my home for this purpose. This stone also helps us connect with our inner truest selves, so during meditation, I use it to tap into my emotions and connect with myself on a deeper level.
- Citrine: This is the newest stone to my collection. Citrine carries the energy of the sun and has a beautiful yellow-orange color that promotes happiness and prosperity. It is considered one of the most powerful stones for manifestation, so when you’re ready to make a change in your life, you better have some citrine nearby and ready! The beauty of this stone is that it instills a sense of optimism and good habit forming behavior. I’m pretty sure everyone needs some of this in their life!
- Shungite: Shungite contains natural antioxidants making it a powerful healer for health and harmful energies to the body. It carries purifying properties that are essential for purifying and detoxifying. Some people, if they use it too often or even wear it, they might start to feel light-headed or ill. That means the detoxing properties are at work, but maybe too much so! Put the crystal down and start again the next day for little bits of time. Once your body becomes accustomed to its energy, you may be able to keep it on you for long periods of time.
So there you have it, the first five crystals I would recommend. Now, be forewarned, when I went to the crystal store near me, I was overwhelmed with all of the stones. Some were “rough”, some were “tumbled” and smooth, and others were in the form of jewelry or decoration.
They all contain powers, so choose stones that appeal to you. The key is to find a stone that speaks to you. Yeah, I know, that sounds crazy, but it’s true. Trust your intuition and let the energy pull you in. If nothing speaks to you, perhaps try a different store or retailer.
I personally prefer getting my crystals from stores where I can sense the energy and be drawn to one, but it’s fine to purchase crystals from online stores as well if that’s your thing. The key is to cleanse the crystal when you get home. I usually smudge mine and then set it in the sunlight/moonlight for 24 hours before using it.
As I continue to discover the powers of crystals, I encourage you to check it out! Leave a comment about your crystal journey, I’d love to hear all about it! Happy Healing!