Hey, hey! Happy Friday everyone. So I have a question for you: Do you desire to eat healthy and treat your body well? Are you like me and love stores like Whole Foods, Fresh Market, or other health-conscious stores?
There is something so wonderful about walking into a store where you know you’re going to find an array of organic produce, specialized foods and products, and unique treats to wow your family and friends with. But usually that comes with a price that tends to keep people away from making wholesome choices for their health. Right?
I know I have had to turn down products and produce that I reallllllly wanted to buy because it simply wasn’t in my budget. I get so frustrated healthy things that are good for us often are more expensive than the processed junk or heavily treated, chemical-laden alternatives.
My health is worth it, I know! But I sometimes have a hard time spending what seems like a lot of money for food. If I truly believe that food is thy medicine (which I do believe!), there shouldn’t be too much hesitation, should there?
I prefer a gluten-free, dairy-free lifestyle simply because my body does not process gluten or dairy easily. Dairy intolerance was pretty obvious for me to figure out. My belly was always so bloated and gassy after I ate dairy products.
Almost immediately after eating dairy, my sinuses would get congested and my skin would start to get pimples. So, eliminating dairy was a no brainer for me if I wanted to feel my best.
The truth is, I haven’t always been strict about keeping dairy out. Heck, I still have ice cream occasionally (always with a Lactaid pill in hand) and I will indulge in some fresh mozzarella cheese (hello, caprese salad!) when the mood strikes me.
I think allowing things in moderation is the best way to approach life. And then there are times when I am a guest at someone’s house and eating dairy in a dish they have prepared is nearly unavoidable. Yep, it happens.
Now gluten was a trickier thing to pinpoint. Years back, I was having daily digestive upset, so I sought out a nutritionist as well as a gastroenterologist. They both recommended that I eliminate gluten from my diet for three months to see how I felt. Gluten? What the heck was that?
At the time, gluten wasn’t in every other news headline or diet book the way it is now. It was still pretty foreign to most people. In fact, it was really only well-known to those who suffered from Celiac disease because they need to avoid it at all costs.
So, my nutritionist educated me on what gluten was and why my body was most likely having a difficult time processing and digesting it. I agreed to eliminate it from my diet for 90 days. Wouldn’t you know it, I felt amazing in those three months. A-MA-ZING!
Not only did my stomach issues disappear, but my energy levels increased and my brain fog diminished. So, for a few years I adhered to a pretty strict no-gluten diet. Fast forward to pregnancy in 2014-15 and gluten was back in the picture (chipwiches were my downfall). I felt pretty good during my pregnancy with no glaring issues. But after pregnancy is where I think my body finally was like, “What the?! What happened?”
Just recently almost every specialist I have seen has encouraged me to eliminate dairy and gluten once again. They all felt that I was highly sensitive to gluten and that it might be contributing to my symptoms.
So, I am sans gluten once again! So what’s a girl to do when she wants to eat healthy for her body and mind but doesn’t want to break the bank on “special” products?
I’m Always Looking for a Bargain
I love when I get to go to Whole Foods or a similar market, but I don’t have one that is super close to where I live. So, I started searching around for what my options were.
Several months ago, I was turned on to an online shopping experience that has been a game-changer for purchasing some of my favorite products. Introducing * Thrive Market.
If you haven’t already checked out this online haven of goodness, you need to! Thrive Market is my new favorite online store because it sells awesome organic and health related products at wholesale prices, which means you get 20-25% off prices you would find in your regular stores!
Once you visit the site, you’ll notice that there is a membership cost of $60/year, but fear not! I made it all back in savings in my first two orders. So it’s totally doable and worth it.
As you know from reading this blog, eating and using organic, chemical-free products as much as possible is very important to me. I would be remiss if I didn’t share with you the tips and tricks I’ve learned along my own journey. So Thrive Market is one of them.
They have tons of non-GMO products, beauty products, groceries, etc. What I also like is that their products are catalogued with different values. So, you just enter what you’re looking for in the search: vegan, paleo, non-GMO, gluten free, sustainably farmed, etc. You get the drift…so accessible!
So depending on what you need or what you might want to try, there are TONS of options to explore. I put together a list of products that I am currently loving in case you’re interested in trying them out! Ordering from Thrive Market saves you money – check out the prices!
Wendy’s Current Food Favs….
- Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar: Bragg’s ACV with “The Mother” is by far the best out there in my opinion. I use this in homemade salad dressings especially but it can also double as a household cleaning product. SO GOOD!! (I also use the Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, another good one!)
- Purely Elizabeth Ancient Grain Granola: I got turned onto this brand over the summer. My household uses it mixed with almond milk as a snack or breakfast. My toddler loves it mixed in with some yogurt and fruit. It comes in several fun flavors, some grain-free if you desire, and it’s delicious!
- Apple Pie Larabars: Okay, the truth is, I love ANY flavor of Larabar, but apple pie just seems so fitting for this time of year. It’s a terrific snack to have on the go. I, personally, always keep one in my purse just in case I need a quick bite in between errands or appointments. It’s made from all natural ingredients, which I am ALL about!
- St. Dalfour’s Jelly: This one is for my husband. He raves about this product! I am currently making daily “nut butter and jelly” sandwiches for my 3 year old using this stuff and he is gobbling them up. A delicious choice!
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Rolled Oats: I just used these today, in fact! I made a yummy vegan, gluten free apple crisp! These rolled oats are perfect for baking or for cooking oatmeal.
- Hu Chocolate: As if I need to explain this choice (haha)… My love for dark chocolate runs deep, but I have been searching high and low for a decent, authentic chocolate and here it is! Hu dark chocolate bars are vegan and paleo friendly and downright amazzzzzzing.
So Are You Ready to Thrive?
I hope I’ve turned you onto the possibility of doing right by your body through checking out this online retailer. Healthy doesn’t have to mean unaffordable or unaccessible. Right now, you can get 25% off your first order by using this code. SO AMAZING!
Don’t forget to share this post with family and friends who might want to share in the knowledge of these low prices. I would love to hear what you decided to try from Thrive Market. Share in the comments below. In the meantime, happy shopping!
* Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link.
Please understand that I have experienced all of these companies, and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something through my links. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.